Re: [orca-list] suggestion

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 09:37:27AM -0500, Scott Berry wrote:
I would like to suggest a an idea.

1.  Orca when it starts should check the volume level and the mute status and if too low or muted ensure
that the controls are at a reasonable level.

Sounds like a nice idea but what constitutes a reasonable level for
volume.  That can vary so much between sound cards, software speech
solutions and the like.  In some cases, you might have to set that
quite high and in other cases that could be too loud and blow the
headphones off your head.  Really, in the spirit of some Linux type
systems, it might be better to not have one application controling
other subsystems that way.  I do realize however, that the default
ALSA settings usually mutes all devices and specifies zero for all
volume levels.  As I say this, I also recall my distribution having
some defaults to get things going in the sound department.  So I might
end up going full circle with this discussion if I keep on going here.