Re: [orca-list] Accessible Login on Arch Linux plus Gnome 2.30

No, You have to hit enter between the user and password.  Furthermore,
once it has your regular user in mind, you only need to hit enter and
the prompt will then ask for your password.  After typing it in and
hearing Orca say "star" for each password character you type, hit
enter and then you should eventually hear the gnome startup sound (if
you have that enabled).  Following that, Orca should restart and say
"Welcome to Orca." Of course, if you haven't run Orca on this box at
all, you may need to make the configuration choices as documented
elsewhare.

That's one reason I personally people should start getting into gnome
from a native text console session and use 'startx' to start x and get
things in basic order first and then mess about with gdm.  Maybe one
day gdm will just talk out of the box and Orca will know what speech
settings to use but you can see that will require some decision making
on the part of the individual user using this accessible environment.