Re: [orca-list] Incorporating Storm Dragon's customizations

Hi Richard.

On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 15:52 -0700, Richard wrote:
Since Voice Over for the mac was brought up, I'll ask a question.  I
notice that on a Mac with the dvd, a blind user can install Mac OSX
Tiger to Snow Leopard with no help at all.  All install screens are
accessible.  Could this be done in Orca

Potentially. It would require:

1. The distro making accessible install an option. This is true for
OpenSolaris and Ubuntu. Not sure about the others.

2. Each distro installer would either need to be very carefully crafted
to just work out of the box with the default Orca script (the case for
OpenSolaris and Ubuntu).

Alternatively, each distro (or a user thereof) would need to write
**and** maintain an Orca script for their installer.

If any distros were to submit an Orca script for their custom installer,
and that script was verified as providing more compelling access to the
distro's installer, I'd almost certainly accept it "upstream" so that
distros could just "pull Orca and go" rather than have to patch Orca to
add their distro-specific scripts.

A long way of saying this really isn't an Orca issue; it is a distro
issue. But we in OrcaLand would be happy to do what we can to help the
distros w.r.t. accessibility.

--joanie