Re: [orca-list] Install gnome on archlinux audio

Hey, Michael,

I listened to your gnomeinstallation walkthrough yesterday and it was
pretty good; I wanted to compare what you did with the steps I
ultimately took last year when I installed gnome and orca.

I would like to point out some differences and ask a question or too
along the way.

1. Why do you prefer gamin over FAM? I ask that because FAM is
installed by default and automatically included with the combination
of gnome and gnome-extra.

2. I messed with that orbitrc file thing a bit and noted a couple
corrections that should probably be made.  the is .orbitrc with a dot
in front of the name and according to the wiki, should go in the /root
folder (root's home folder).  Also, it is v4=1 on the first line; I
heard in your presentation just 'v=1' so that may cause a problem.
When I made those changes on my system, I actually heard a dialog come
up indicating that a automatic access was being given to adminissrator
tools or some such.  Actually, I was trying to use root terminal and
that didn't work for me but after reading the wiki, I recall now that
I have to access these admin tools from a gnome terminal with sudo so
will have to play with this further later on today.

3. I didn't recall hearing much about gnome-system-tools before this
and discovered it had not been installed previously on my system to my
surprise; I'm surprised it isn't a part of the two main gnome groups
but it is in community so that might explain that.  What did you hear
about gnome-system-tools and why install them?  Just wondering.

4. How did you come about needing to install specific video drivers? I
just installed xorg if I recall prior to the gnome stuff.  In looking
around here, I see that I installed xf86-video-vesa at a later point
in time but can't remember why now :).

Other than that, it was a very interesting presentation.