Re: [orca-list] Orca and character encoding

Hi Isaac:

Orca should be converting characters to UTF-8 before sending them downstream. If it isn't, then I believe it's a bug. Orca could potentially be modified to convert things to Latin-1, but I believe that kind of thing should be handled at the speech layer and not inside Orca. That is, I believe the knowledge that a speech engine only understands Latin-1 is more properly handled by the speech layer than Orca.

Having said all that 2.22 is quite old and is no longer maintained. The only version under maintenance/development right now is 2.28, and we'll soon be working towards 2.30.

Will

Isaac Porat wrote:
Hi Will

On another mailing list, there are reports on problems with utf-8 and it
suggested that the problem is perhaps with speech-dispatcher but it is not
clear.

I wonder how Orca handles character encoding, does Orca translate all
characters to a common denominator such as utf-8 and sends these to the
speech engine or does it send it in it in its original encoding and if so
how it indicates the encoding to the engine?
Also if the problem is downstream from Orca which seems to be the
indication, is there a way to tell Orca to translate say utf-8 to say
Latin-1 for western european languages as way around the problem until it is
fixed by the developers of the speech engine?
The Orca version of the distro in question is still 2.22 and I am not sure
if this problem may be something to do with that as you indicated that you
did recently some work with diacritics ?

Thanks
Regards
Isaac