[orca-list] pidgin 2.6.4 and orca

Hi All,
I made the rather unpleasant discovery today that ArchLinux upgrading
pidgin to 2.6.4 broke the orca script for it completely.  I have orca
2.28.1 at the moment from the arch repository.
I wonder if this sort of breakage is reason enough to run orca from the
source repository?  I've never done it before, and so am not quite sure
what to expect.  Might anybody be able to give me a few tips on how to
go about it?  Steve, I believe you're already doing this sort of thing?
I presume I first need to remove the Arch package of orca to avoid
contamination.
Thanks much for any advice,
Zack.