Re: [orca-list] need a quick overview of orca with thunderbird.

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 20:33 -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:

Well, I find Thunderbird to be fairly self explanatory and from my
experience, no special Orca considerations needed.  Orca does have a
script supplied that deals with the Mozilla side of things and from
what I can tell, handles thunderbird and shreder quite smoothly.

Hi,
Thanks for the info.
But I must say that I am afraid, thunderbird is not even a bit
accessible to me.
May be I am doing some thing totally wrong or may be my orca is currupt.
It looks as if orca has never even tryed to make thunderbird accessible
(this is the kind of situation I am facing on my laptop ).

For quick navigation, I'll try and summarize what I do on my system.
I use Thunderbird with two IMAP accounts so when I get into the
program, I have to be sure I'm in the right node of the treeview for
the mail account I want to follow.  When you open the program for the
first time, you will get the wizzards used to set up new accounts.  I
won't go into account specific stuff here because I'm sure that varies
depending on your mail account parameters.  But after the first-time
stuff is out of the way, tab around the interface and hear the types
of contreols shown.  You get a tree table which will be the mail
accounts and folders under each account like INBOX, sent mail, trash,
etc.  These talk fine with Orca and just arrowing around should cause
a normal tree table behavior with spoken confirmation of where you
are.  Then tab once to place you in the message list for that folder.

I don't here that there is a message list at all.
Here, arrowing up and down the vertical list will speak the message
you're on and also the status if the message is unread, has
attachment, expanded or collapsed thread, date, time, etc.  One thing
I always do with Thunderbird on any platform is to turn off any
previewing of messages.  Go into the View menu and look for message
preview or something very similar.  I can't remember if it is on the
top level of the view menu or if you have to go into one of the other
menus like folder or sort options.  I like threaded mail so I go in
and set threading to be on in the Sort submenu of View.  Also, while
on a message thread in the message list, pressing the KP_Enter key
twice quickly will read the status line and from that you will hear
how many messages are in the folder and the number of selected
messages is usually how many messages there are in that thread.

Well i managed to get some how to the so called message list, but I only
here the date and no subject or sender.
I have used evolution before and tryed to move to the left or right
columns using left and right arrow keys, But orca behaves as if there is
just one column namely the date column.
Then I moved using the flat review keys and located subject.  I clicked
it and after that subject became the only column for orca.
Now I can't read date or sender with left or right arrow keys.
This becomes totally inaccessibl for a person like me who used evolution
before.

Reading message bodies is pretty easy with Orca too.  I just hit enter
on the desired message and it opens and I can use the usual structural
navigation keys we can use with Firefox.  It's just like viewing a web
page.

Ok, I could open a randum message and capslok ; did not read the message.
Again there must be some thing I am doing wrong or orca might be currupt.
Can any one help.

Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.