[orca-list] Making Orca + Speech Dispatcher + eSpeak Speak Faster

Hi Everyone,

With orca + speech-dispatcher + espaek I get excellent response times
when navigating menus for example, perhaps even better than what I was
used to under JAWS, but one thing I would like to see is a faster
response time when reading full documents.

This is also an issue of speech rate. I set the rate to the full 99 or
100 percent in both the orca preferences and in the speech-dispatcher
config files, but I think the speech can still be faster.

Does anyone have some other suggestions, perhaps other configurations of
orca in which speech comes out faster? Do I need to change my speech
synthesizer? And lastely, I have the licenses for quite a couple of
synthesizers under Windows via JAWS and ZoomText (elequance, via voice,
scansoft ones and so on). Is it possible to use these through
speech-dispatcher and orca?

The slowness is especially audible when I set orca to voice all
punctuation which I need to know about when writing source code.

What about sound icons? Could that speed things up a bit?

Many thanks in advance!
Kerneels.