Re: [orca-list] A question regarding the future of Orca

Hi Keith:

Where are you getting your information?

Will

On Nov 10, 2009, at 4:58 AM, Keith Hinton wrote:

This might be impossible to answer.
But from what I've heard, Gnome is moving to Speech-Dispatcher
officially over what appears to be a useless tool called Gnome-Speech
(witch was never really good at all) never owrked on any of the
machines I used) over 4 PCs tested upto this point, including an old
laptop.
Anyways... the question, is Speech-Dispatcher still under development?
From what I've heard, the project has died.
If Gnome attempts to not support the development of Dispatcher and
uses an unmaintained application as speech system, will this have any
impact on Orca? Orca has to interface to something, and whatever it
uses, I want it to be just as responsive as JAWS for Windows or
another Windows based solution. In otherwords, instant speech when
pressing tab, etc. Not a pause here, a lag there, etc.
Any suggestions or discussion is more than welcome!
Regards, --Keith

P.S.
Another opinion I have heard is that you open-Source developers are
falling apart, that Gnome and all accessibility (including Orca) is
dying out. Is any of this true?
Just curious.
A lot of my friends keep telling me to use Windows because all Linux
accessibility solutions suck and are not worth dealing with, bc there
all such a pain.
If anyone can email me either on or off list regarding this I would
value any feedback. Thanks.