[orca-list] Instalation question.

I'm looking at installing Linux on a 5-year-old laptop with both Orca and Speakup running probably Espeak. I'm wondering how interchangeable the two screenreaders are. Meaning, if from within a command line I start something that requires Gnome, will Speakup shut up and Orca take over, still using the Espeak synth, or is there something specific I have to do to make that happen? The same question applies for multiple virtual consoles in which I have gnome running in one, and a command line in another. Will switching from one to the other be seemless, or again is there something in particular I have to do to make it happen? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.