Re: [orca-list] Orca and IRC?

James Homuth <james the-jdh com> wrote:
I'm wondering how well Orca works with various IRC clients so far as the
actual realtime interaction goes.

If Gnome-terminal is now working reliably (and I haven't tried it in a while,
since I mostly work from the console and only start Gnome when I need to run
an X application), irssi is completely accessible and should meet your needs.
It also supports Jabber/XMPP by way of a plug-in.

I also tried Pidgin, which was quite accessible at the time, thanks to the
committed efforts of Orca developers. However, since I don't need any of the
proprietary messaging protocols, Irssi suits my needs better, as it is also
highly customizable in ways that Gnome applications tend not to be, not to
mention that typing commands is faster than choosing items from menus and
dialogues once you know what you're doing.

If you need to interact with one of the proprietary messaging systems, Pidgin
is the way to go.