Re: [orca-list] A support of flash application

On 25/5/09 17:39, Jacob Schmude wrote:

I think our best chance is to make some of the open source Flash
alternatives, such as Gnash and Swfdec, interact with the accessibility
frameworks such as at-spi or communicate withe the Dom in Firefox. Since
the code for these is open, someone more knowledgable than myself about
Firefox could probably do this. The downside, however, is that they are
not up to par in compatibility with some Flash applications as of yet,
and might never be due to Adobe holding back parts of the specification.

As far as I know, the specification for Flash is now open such that even player implementers can use it. Previously, they were forbidden from using it and Gnash was built using cleanroom reverse engineering.

Still, in light of a sudden turn-around in the attitude of Adobe, I
think it's the best chance we've got for Flash accessibility on
non-Windows platforms.

I agree the best immediate hope would be to add support for the Flash Accessibility class to Gnash:

http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?105660

Bare in mind that this is far from a GNOME-only
problem, Adobe has no desire to make Flash on the Macintosh accessible
either, at least from the replies I've been sent.

Yep.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis