Re: [orca-list] Acrobat a11y horribly broken

Hi Erik:

Unfortunately, Orca's not able to work well with Acrobat because of accessibility issues inside Acrobat itself. Since Acrobat is a closed system, we also cannot go into the sources to fix things for them and offer patches to Adobe. Adobe also does not have a public bug database as far as I know. So, all we can do is write Adobe e-mail and bring bugs to their attention.

Where things stand right now is that we've brought the accessibility issues to Adobe's attention and we've followed up with them several times to check on progress. I've CC'd Andrew Kirkpatrick, who is Adobe's Corporate Accessibility Engineering Lead. I realize this puts Andrew in a tough spot (sorry Andrew), but maybe he might be able to lend some insight into what Adobe is (or is not) doing in this space.

Will

Erik Heil wrote:
Hi everyone.
I seem to recall that is versions 7 and possibly 8, PDF documents were in
fact accessible with Adobe Acrobat Reader. However, at some time in the
future, a11y is horrible broken. The menu bars are read properly, but as
far as rendering PDF documents in an accessible form, that's a no-go. If
this has been brought up before, sorry for cluttering up the list with
this message. My only viable solution is to find a version of a previous
distribution where a11y is not at all broken. Luckily for me, I don't at
all require any of the advanced features of the latest versions, but being
able to find packaged versions of them that integrate well within Debian
is becoming harder and harder to find. Any suggestions would be very
welcome.

eheil sdf lonestar org