Re: [orca-list] xfce and KDE and any other desktops?

Hi Ashley.
I'll try and answer some of your questions here. Currently, QT-based
applications are *not* accessible with assistive technologies, although
work  is ongoing to make them accessible. The XFCE environment, for the
most part, is based on GTK2, but even if you got the underlying window
manager accessible, it would still not be a compelling experience for the
non-sighted user, due to a multitude of issues within XFCE-based
applications.  Off the top of my head, take Thunar, the XFCE file manager.
This application, to my knowledge, is not accessible with Orca.  Can it be
done? I don't doubt it. I would even be willing to help with such
a project, if I can get any volunteers.  But in order to make this happen,
their has to be changes in the underlying applications. I, for the most
part, am not familiar with the XFCE codebase. Perhaps other list members
can chime in on this. I do know for a fact that if I had access to XFCE,
it would indeed make at least one of my machines here happier. Because its
really not designed to run a GUI, let alone a full-fledged one such as
Gnome.
HTH

--Erik