[orca-list] strange orca startup problem

I am using orca 2.24.4 on a Gentoo system and I am having a rather
peculiar problem trying to get orca to run.  If I run orca from the
text console it sets up -- or so it says -- but then when I try to log
in to the user, and get no speech, I can run gnome-terminal and then
if I try to run orca, it starts the welcome to orca and asks me which
speech server system I should use, gnome-speech or speech-dispatcher
and if I hit 1 or 2, orca dies.  I did orca >temp.txt 2>&1 from the
gnome-terminal which gives me the following output.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "//usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/orca/orca.py", line 1086, in _showPreferencesConsole
    module.showPreferencesUI(_commandLineSettings)
  File "//usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/orca/orca_console_prefs.py", line 440, in showPreferencesUI
    (not setupSpeech(prefsDict)):
  File "//usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/orca/orca_console_prefs.py", line 175, in setupSpeech
    choice = int(sayAndPrint(_("Enter choice: "), False, True))
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''

Any assistance would be appreciated.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici