[orca-list] OT: Admin tools are no longer usable in Gnome

Hi,
yesterday I had to realize that the admin tools are no longer usable in
Gnome:
When I try to open apps like services-admin or the network-admin, I get
the message that these programs do not recognize the architecture of the
system.
I can choose a distro, but I am warned that the use of that choice can
seriously damage my system.
Despite that warning I tried by choosing Debian 5.0, which in fact is
the base of GRML, and started the services-admin in ordr to activate a
service.
For a minute nothing happens and the system seemed to hang, but then the
machine shut down, and the system was completely dumped.
I had to restore an image in order to get Linux back.
This all was confirmed by a list member in a German list, so it is not
only my problem.
Question: What have the Gnome developers done to the admin tools?
In fact this is an impossition. Provided a user only uses the GUI, what
can he/she do to administer his/her system?
I am mainly a tex console user, so I am - besides the yesterday's crash
- a happy guy. :-)
But what abou those who - for whatever reason - can't or won't use a
console?
Not the kind of freedom we expect so desperately! :-(
Hermann