[orca-list] extra info Was:Re:BrlTTY and auto-detection in Ubuntu, what is wrong?

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:37:17PM +0100, Labrador wrote:
i would like a clear explanation of the issue, and a clear explanation
of the steps to reproduce, noting that I don't have a USB braille display,
but steps to reproduce are useful for others who may also wish to test.

Step 1:
autodetection must be reactivated:
/etc/default/brltty's param run_brltty=no should be set to yes
+
the /etc/brltty.conf must be set to fixed when the user sets its own params
in it; the problem was that it was overrwritten by /usr/lib/brltty if I'm
not wrong, and that script sux! Maybe asking to the author, he's one of the
risponsible for the problem so maybe he may help in fixing it!

There was a problem that instead of puting  braille-device USB:
in /etc/brltty.conf, it puted /dev/USB:
and that was blocking the thing to work correctly.

The problem is coming from into the /usr/lib/brltty script.

Note that I forgot to tell that this /usr/lib/brltty script runs when
booting: the intension is maybe nice but the way it works is wrong.
Automatic detection is OK but once you'd like to fix it into
/etc/brltty.conf the /usr/lib/brltty script must stop with overriding your
personalized prefs.

Step 2:

I shall advise you get in touch with blind students or schools
so they have at least a braille display; testing things that have been done
is IMHO essential and a better warranty for long term solutions.

Labrad0r