Re: [orca-list] orca does not count repeated chars in terminal

Hello,
I can confirm what you state, but I ask whether this is incorrect. Let me do this with an example:

Open your file with ten star characters in it in nano (command: nano tmp.txt). Move to the line below the star characters and then press up arrow to go back to it, I get the correct announcement.

When you perform the cat operation you are getting output in another way (you are getting screen changing information). It is hard to think of a gui example which relates to this, the closest I can think of is copying from the clipboard in gedit. Try the following:

open gedit. Type "**********" (again without quote marks) select the stars and press control+c to copy. Create new document (not really needed but ensures we know what we start with) now press control+v to paste. Listen to orca, its the same as when you do cat in a terminal with tmp.txt.

So this doesn't seem to be a gnome-terminal issue, and questionably is not wrong. If you feel screen changes should be read with repeat characters then file an enhancement bug proposing this alteration.

Michael Whapples