[orca-list] cannot start Orca after Debian Lenny install

Hi list,
Today, I installed Debian Lenny using debootstrap. I have gnome and orca installed from the Lenny apt repositories. I can run test-speech from the console and get speech output using espeak. However, when I run orca under gnome, I get no sound. I'm sure I'm just missing some packages, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Is there a way I can start Orca from a console or SSH session to see any errors that might be coming up?