[orca-list] New to the list, and curious.

Hello all,

I've officially been subscribed to the list for a grand total of half an
hour, and still reading back through the archives. While not a desktop linux
user yet, I'm definitely considering at least partially making the switch
and sticking it on my laptop. The question I have though, is anyone here
running a version of Gentoo that uses Orca? If so, how much of a pain was it
to configure? I was never a huge fan of the Debian/Ubuntu way of doing
things, that being new versions of programs means new versions of the OS
(too much like Windows, IMHO), and was for that plus a few other reasons
looking at throwing in that distro. In addition, which speech option are
people generally preferring? I've heard plenty of okay to not too horrible
things about all of them, but I want to be able to get a halfway decent feel
for what works better for the majority. I've heard people have a problem
with understanding the Festival voices, and same with Espeak. So, before I
take the plunge, I'd like to just throw a feeler out there and see who's
using what with how much success. Hopefully I can contribute more than my
fair share while I'm learning.

Thank you in advance,

James