Re: [orca-list] New List Member

Hello,
Firstly openoffice, one thing you need to make sure you have installed is the openoffice gnome interface, otherwise orca will not be able to access it. I don't know whether this really is the trouble as I don't know how dell set up their ubuntu computers. Anyway to install the openoffice gnome interfaces do the following:
Press alt+f2 and type gnome-terminal and press enter. A terminal window should appear.
Now type
sudo apt-get install openoffice.org-gnome
(I hope I got the package name correct, I use GRML so some of the packages do differ).
It will go away get the files from the internet and may ask you some questions confirming whether you want to do the actions it lists, in most cases you probably want to say yes but still read it to check.

Also befor you do the above you may want to check you have all updates, plenty of information out there saying how to do it, I would though recommend doing it from the command line if possible as I have heard reports that people find orca can become unresponsive in some of the graphical package management tools like synaptic.

As for the browser issue, you only refer to "the browser". What browser is it and what version? You should really be using firefox 3.0 with orca or some of the text based browsers although some of them don't support all the web technology commonly used (eg. some _javascript_ pages don't work well in the text based browsers).

Anyway, good luck with linux and I hope you want to stick with it.

Michael Whapples