[orca-list] first steps.

I am a very new user of linux. I’ve just installed it and started to use with orca az it came with Ubuntu 8.10. When I tried to do the system update orca suspended its work. I’ve learned that if I wouldn’t touch any key during the process finally speech will go back. The question is wheather it is a normal behavior or I should install some components from wherever. Same situation with synaptic. When I try to run it I loose control over my system completely unless I do it from terminal. In such case I have enough power to switch my computer off.

Thanks for any help. Damian