Re: [orca-list] Vinux 1.3 Released!

On 23.02.2009 at 23:16:31 "Bob Tinney" <tinneyb charter net> wrote:

Hi,

I've remained silent on this issue, but I feel compelled to reply to this
announcement.   I have real problems with a special install of an operating
system for the blind.  If we, the blind and visually impaired, insist on
segregating ourselves, that lets all software and system developers and
companies off the accessibility hook.  Ubuntu, Solaris, and the Gnome
project have been working hard to improve accessibility.  Things are not
perfect, but I can't see how the landscape can be made better by putting a
fence around ourselves.

And why are there so many Linux distros, if not to serve the needs of
certain people?
And where is the fence around Vinux? I never saw one. Why half a dozen
Ubuntus?
Do students build a fence around themselves when using Edubuntu? No one
asks such questions, so why do we?
Vinux is a regular Linux, that is adjusted to the needs of visually
impaired people, but ther are no "special solutions", e. g. programs
only useful for us (besides Orca of course).
a different story are things like Adriane, which is - at least in my
humble opinion - such a "special solution" that keeps blind and visually
impaird people from exploring the real Linux world.
Hermann