[orca-list] KNOWN ISSUE with OpenSolaris build 107

Hi All:

We discovered a problem with build 107 of OpenSolaris today. This affects anyone who has installed OpenSolaris 2008.11 and has pointed their preferred package authority to the development area that's updated with test bits every couple weeks: http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev.

The latest build, build 107, has an issue that will break accessibility on your machine. We have a fix that will be ready for build 109. My recommendations are as follows:

1) If you haven't moved your preferred package authority to the /dev packages, now is not the time to do so. Stay with http://pkg.opensolaris.org/release/. If you don't know if you've moved to /dev or not, it's likely you haven't. But, for those who want to know, type 'pkg authority' in a terminal and check out the output. If you don't find http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev in there, then you haven't done the work needed to add it (duh ;-)).

2) If you have moved to /dev area, now is not a good time to update. Wait until build 109 has been pushed to /dev.

3) If you have updated and your system is screwed, you can try booting to a previous boot environment. You'll need to do so silently via initial GRUB menu. When you're sure your system is at the GRUB menu, press the up arrow key once and press return. This should boot you from a saved boot environment that hopefully works.

4) If you can ssh into your machine, you might try building/installing at-spi from scratch. Make sure you use "--prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib" for the autogen. If this makes as much sense to you as group and ring theory applied to a Klein bottle in non-Euclidian space, then you might be better off doing something else.

Sorry for the inconvenience and alarm. But, we figure it's better to let you know *before* you screw your machine up than after. This should all be clear when build 109 is available in a couple weeks or so.

Will