From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of josh
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 7:09 AM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: [orca-list] ubuntu comment and orca comment

Hi,

I found a really great article yesterday.

hopefully you all on here will read it. Currently to get grade2 braille in orca, it involves some command line stuff. such as recompiling orca. The average pc user wants to click a nice litle icon on the desktop or applications menu and it does that all for you. Also updateing orca, more command line stuff. Am I against the command line? no. My point, and the point of this article is that there is still a dark side to gnome and orca or the linux GUI. There's still a bit of tech linux geekiness to it that absolutely needs to be addresses before a home user the average joe shmo off the street can sit down at it and update orca or smoothly and efficiently can click an icon on the desktop and add grade2 braille. Now making orca work with a particular app may involve scripting. But couldn't a window system e added like in window-eyes for those who don't want to script? I also read that wi-fi in gnome could be improved as well as the handling of crtain devices. this article may be outdated. But I'd love to see the day where ubuntu and or gnome and orca take over, where free and open source software take over. first, the dark side of the linux gui needs to be addressed with scripts or complete gnome accessible gui interfaces similar to install wizards in windows or on the mac. After all, how often does the average jo shmo go to the command line in windows? probably not often if at all. I think the gui linux has some catching up to do not copyng microsoft, but doing it in its own unique way to win the general public over so all pcs in the world can run on free open source operating systems. I see the price of windows xp is over $200.00. A Linux gui install or live cd disc can cost as little as $10.00. and if you want human voices you can use cepstral voices on it or festival or mbrola probably. But the dark side of gui linux needs to e addressed with accessible solutions for both blind and sighted individuals. I hope the gnome developers are reading this; and will address the issues I linked to and am speaking of here. also, better games for linux, accessible ones and drivers for more hardwre and printers and wi-fi cards and tv and radio tuners and netbooks.

Josh