Re: [orca-list] Orca key + q doesn't quit orca

Hi Steve:

Running "orca -q" will execute the search and destroy logic in the orca shell script and it should work fine from a text console.

I'm not sure a hotkey to start Orca would help much since the desktop might be locked up at the point you need it. But, it does depend upon where the lock up is happening.

BTW, I am somewhat concerned about the "lose speech in the gnome terminal" part of your message. Do you have a test we can use to reproduce the problem? My apologies if you've already logged a bug on this and I've missed it somehow.

Will

Steve Holmes wrote:
Will this shortcut work from any other console like a text console? Oh, also, I tried 'killall orca' on several occasions and that never worked. I don't think Orca populates a pid file so killall never works for me. I always have to do a 'ps ax |grep orca' and then kill -9 that process number I got from the previous ps command. I need to do this quite often when I lose speech in the gnome terminal. Personally, I want speech available to me when doing these things. I have no clue where I am when Orca locks up like that. So this method has always worked for me. Then after killing orca, I can go back to the gnome window, press alt-f2 and wait five seconds and then type 'orca' and once dialog is dismissed, Orca will usually start back up. I would emagin a hotkey to start Orca would come in real handy here.

Jose Vilmar Estacio de Souza wrote:
You can also type:
orca -q
to kill orca.