Re: [orca-list] Begin PGP-signed message?

It does.  How would I varify a signature is correct?

Tj Squires

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Luke Yelavich
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 8:32 AM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Begin PGP-signed message?

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 03:46:59PM CET, Tj wrote:
Hello,

I just have to ask, and i know this is horriblyoff topic, however,
here goes anyhow.  I've noticed people writing emails that would ave:
"Begin PGP signed message" and "Begin PGP signature" at the top and
bottom of their emails respectively.  I've done some research and know
what it means, however, I'm curious as to which email clients do that?

There are two ways in which one can GPG sign their messages. Either with a
separate signature file which is attached to the mail, or inline, i.e the
signature is in the body of the email itself. The reason why some people
sign their messages with an inline signature is because its more compatible
with more email clients. I for one thing, have found that if I sign my
messages with a separate attached file containing the signature, some brain
dead email clients, (Microsoft mail clients I'm looking at you), don't
display the mail correctly to the user. The user sees a text file plus the
signature file.

As for supporting mail clients, just about all Linux email clients support
GPG signing, either directly, or through installable plugins/extensions for
the client. I also believe one can get plugins for Windows email clients to
also GPG sign messages, although I have never looked much into this myself.
I also believe a plugin can be obtained for Apple mail to GPG sign messages.

Note that if an email client can support signing of messages, it can also
help you verify that a signature on an email message is correct.

Hope this helps

Luke