Re: [orca-list] netapplet, Nautilus - any alternative working with orca?

Hi Joel,
I cannot give you any advice about installing on Eee, but you can try
live distro called Vinux:
Introduction:
# The aim of this project is to develop a new alternative /
blindfriendly live-CD / installer for people with visual impairments.
The current release is based on the Ubuntu Linux distribution.
# VINUX (Vinux Is Not Ubuntu but gnu/linuX) is a remaster of the
Intrepid Ibex live CD optimised for the needs of blind and partially
sighted users!
# It is designed to boot from a live CD or USB memory stick, log you
in automatically and then start up the Orca screen-reader.

direct link for download: http://vinux.org.uk/downloads/latest_(1.2).iso

Then there should not be problem with dependencies. I did not try it I
use Pclinuxos, which I also installed on my visually impaired sister's
notebook. In Pclinuxos, I only used Synaptic to install wanted rpm
packages - first gnome, then AT-Spi, Gnome speech and Espeak and Orca
- Synaptic automatically solved the dependencies and installed
necessary packages.

Later I also used batch shell script via apt-get to make it possible
for my sister to install other programs. Reason was that we do not
have fast internet connection at home and my sister is beginner linux
user so I wrote the script and she only ran it when connected to
internet at school and installation was automatic. I found out that
also apt-get solves the dependencies - it performs some analysis and
then says that other packages have to be installed, you only write Y/N
and press enter.

Helios