* The user can switch to a system which does things properly by default rather than fighting the system (opensuse has been named as having a suitable system and opensolaris seems to work well from what I have seen of it (I am unsure whether I would recommend opensolaris to a newbie at the moment, it has a lot of promise but needs a few things finishing off before its really ready for the beginner))

The last option is the only one which will immediately solve the problem for the user, and in my mind moving away from ubuntu would be a good step in itself.

Michael Whapples
On -10/01/37 20:59, Jacob Schmude wrote:
Hi
There is no fix with gksu and gksudo at the moment, that is the problem. Systems such as gnome-su do not cause an issue, and neither does an application that's written to use policykit though as I said in my previous message, the application would have to be refitted to use it at the source code level. That's the smart way to go imho, since the security of policykit is much tighter than sudo and more flexible and configurable.
You can get gnome-su running on Ubuntu but it's a bit involved, with the latest versions of Ubuntu you need to compile it as there doesn't seem to be a package anymore like their used to be. Then activate the root account (as it's not active on Ubuntu by default) and edit each shortcut in the menus that uses gksudo and replace gksudo with gnome-su.
The only other thing you can do is edit your sudoers file and make it so your username never requires a password while sudoing, this will skip over the issue with gksudo prompting for your password and breaking Orca. I do not recommend this however, it's a huge security risk as it grants anyone who might gain access to your machine instant root privileges through that account.

On Dec 26, 2009, at 23:29, hank smith wrote:

what is the fix to fix this in gui?
this is a huge linux turn off fore me
I am a gui user and need to get this fixed or find a way to add remove packages etc etc
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2009 9:13 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Administrative Tasks in Ubuntu

Hi
The smart thing to do, and some of Ubuntu's tools have already done this, is to implement their security with policykit. Have a look at the authorizations, users and groups, and date/time administration utilities to see this in action. They don't require sudo and get their authorization when needed after you press the "unlock" button and type your password.
Regarding gksudo... seriously, GNOME/gksudo developers if any are here, isn't it time this is fixed already? That's been a thorn for how many years I can't even remember. The problem clearly relates to gksu and gksudo specifically, as we can run admin tasks from the command-line using sudo without problems, and systems such as gnome-su (used in OpenSUSE) also work fine. To any Ubuntu devs listening, gksudo is a major accessibility problem and needs fixed or replaced at this point. And yes, this is still the case in Lucid.