Re: [orca-list] fb-reader possible accessible with future?

Hi
FBreader is based on libzl which, in turn, uses GTK. The issue of an unknown container control is actually
markedly similar to that same issue found in older versions of wxWindows and SWT. All three of these toolkits
are, essentially, bridges to whichever native toolkit applies for the system in question which makes a
developer able to write just one interface and have it work across platforms.
Aside from fixing the problem in libzl itself or else telling FBreader not to use that unknown control (might
not be possible depending on how libzl works), I'm wondering if there's any way possible that all controls
called "panel" or "unknown" could always be made to expose their underlying content? That container control,
after all, is unimportant to us Orca users, it's what's inside it that counts. If unknown controls could
always render their contents it would solve a lot of accessibility issues right there, i.e. no matter what
the container control is, always have subcontrols exposed to at-spi. I'm taking a stab in the dark here, I
don't know enough about GTK+ internals to know how practical this idea would be. Still, having controls
inside a container hidden from accessibility seems odd as, after all, we don't really interact with the
containers themselves. It does make sense on a OS X where the concept of interacting with containers is an
integral concept of the accessibility experience, but in GNOME it just seems to cause a lot of accessibility
issues especially in these cross-platform GUI toolkits.