Re: [orca-list] Orca doesn't work with Debian Squeeze

Bram Duvigneau <bram bramd nl> wrote:
Hi all,

I just reinstalled my Debian squeeze box including Gnome and Orca.
Last time Orca worked fine. However, this time it doesn't read the
Gnome desktop at all. I configured Orca using the text console and
set it up to use with Speech-dispatcher. I enabled accessibility and
auto start on login. When I login, Orca does seem to start, but
doesn't speak. Not even the "welcome to Orca" message.

I am suspecting speech-dispatcher.

Is there a test program for checking that speech-dispatcher is working,
independently of Orca?

You could temporarily try gnome-speech instead, which works well for me under
Debian. (Yes, I know we're going to move to speech-dispatcher once Luke has
improved it sufficiently.)