Re: [orca-list] Orca and the shutdown/logout dialogues

On 08/25/2009 12:24 PM, Steve Holmes wrote:
I looked briefly at the startx command that my system uses; it is a shell script though rather complex in content. Could I simply change some options in there? if so, which? If one wants, I could post it to the list. It is one used in Arch Linux. I have no idea what the startx scripts may look like from other distros. It would be interesting to compare them.

From what you said, does this mean that if someone were to login with GDM instead, he/she would have spoken access to the shutdown and lock screen dialogs?

No. I'm running arch linux and starting it with gdm does not improve accessibility as far as the shutdown dialogs are concerned. Also the botom panel is not accessible and I've not been able to figure out why.I suppose a post would do well in the forums, but I'm not sure if they are good with accessibility.

Alonzo

Willie Walker wrote:
Hi Steve:

It's been a long time since I've dug into the various ways one can start a desktop session on X Windows. At some point, I probably need to revisit the whole sequence of events because it has changed some in the past year due to various things.

Right now, however, I don't know how to go about making your specific environment work -- you might try asking the Arch Linux folks for help since they should be well versed in how things are started on their distribution.

Will

Steve Holmes wrote:

How might one figure this out? I'm personally using Arch Linux and I
believe an observation of similar behavior was done with a Debian
system.  I start gnome with startx from a native console.  I guess I
could begin by looking at what the startx command does; but if it is a
compiled program, then I wouldn't be sure where to look next without
litterally taring down the source code to gnome and its components and
that is verry daunting indeed.