From: Jennifer
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2009 1:36 AM
Subject: [orca-list] Speech dispatcher problem on acer aspire 1 netbook!

Hello everyone. I have been experimenting with Linux for about 6 months on and off but am still quite a noob. I wanted to make orca more responsive and snappy, as I am using it on my net book and it is very slow     and laggy, particularly on the internet.
I have installed speech-dispatcher and the python interface speech-d. I have checked that they are installed and that they are the correct versions. I can not start speech-dispatcher as a user or as a system service, note that I have disabled pulse audio and am using alsa. I get the following output:
client: speech dispatcher failed to open: connection refused

I have tried the command spd-say "hello" (with and without the quotes and I get the same error as above.
 Also when I tried the command speech-dispatcher -d I got a message about not being able to create a pid file in the home directory due to the wrong permissions. Should I use sudo speech-dispatcher -d or something like that?

Any help or suggestions to links would be very much appreciated. I did find some resources on the net relating to this issue but they seemed a little confusing.

Thanks
Jen!

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4316 (20090807) __________

http://www.eset.com