Re: [orca-list] Emacs and Orca again

Bart Bunting <bart ursys com au> wrote:

Previously I had managed to get them to play together by starting emacs from
the console and exporting the DISPLAY variable.  For reasons unknown to me
this used to work around the issue of hangs in orca when emacs was started.

I have just conducted the following test with Emacs 23.1, Orca 2.27.5 and
Gnome 2.26, all as packaged by Debian.

1. Started Gnome and Orca by running startx from a console. Orca was
configured to use my braille display as well as ESpeak via Gnome-Speech.

2. Once Orca was running, I switched to another virtual console and ran Emacs.
This also started emacspeak, configured to use a DECTALK Express serial
synthesizer, which all worked fine.  BRLTTY handled the braille display
properly, as is usual, when I switched over to the console.

3. I then switched back to my X session with alt-F7 and continued working with
Orca by reading items on the desktop, again with no problems for either the
braille or the speech output.

Conclusion: I can't reproduce your problem. What are the salient differences
between your environment and mine that explain why it doesn't work for you?