Re: [orca-list] autogen errors?

Daniel Dalton <d dalton iinet net au> wrote:

Gnome desktop is installed, and I'm on debian lenny. I just did a
safe-upgrade. So, how do I update these packages, and why isn't orca
finding gnome-desktop?

You can upgrade them from Debian Squeeze or Debian Sid. In Debian
experimental, which you can add to your /etc/apt/sources.list, you'll find
Orca 2.27.5.

If you actually want to build Orca instead of downloading a packaged version,
i.e., you really want to test the latest code with the latest features and the
latest bugs (no offence intended to our dedicated Orca developers, but even
they have been known to introduce bugs occasionally), aptitude build-dep
gnome-orca/experimental should do the trick once you've added experimental and
either squeeze or sid to your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

If you upgrade to Squeeze you'll get a fairly recent version of Gnome 2.24. If
you upgrade to Sid you'll be tempted by Gnome 2.26.2, at the risk of using the
very latest packages with, potentially, the latest bugs just waiting for you.
Squeeze is also known as testing, and it receives packages from Sid after
several weeks of testing there, provided that no critical bugs have been
reported. these aren't the exact criteria, but they're a summary of what I
believe to be the process.

So, as is usually the case, it's a choice between stability and features that
you should consider before deciding how to proceed. I would suggest asking a
few Debian people first to collect their opinions. I am personally running Sid
here with Gnome 2.26.2 and Orca 2.27.5, which some people would regard as
risky and others would regard as an entirely reasonable thing to do.