Re: [orca-list] Updating orca and getting it to work with VMware

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 07:45:26PM +0100, ashley cox wrote:
    Hi list,

Just a few quick questions, Anyone know of (or can give me) a step-by-step guide on upgrading gnome and
orca?

I'm using ubuntu 8.10, and when i do:

sudo apt-get update,
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade,

it updates my system, but doesn't update gnome or orca.

Also, i've been using a lot of linux systems in VMware. In the ones with paulseaudio, the speech system
just crackles (In fact, all sound does the same). This is strange, cause doesn't ubuntu use paulseaudio? It
does this on distro's like open suse and fedora. I need to install open suse from the live cd, but because
of this crackling i can't here what the speech says. Any way to fix this using the live cd?

I get this crackling a lot when working with Orca in a VMware guest
machine.  I have had some luck "disconnecting" and reconnecting the
audio in VMware when the VM is running.  It doesn't seem to work
lately though, but you might give it a try.  I'm not sure what the
real problem is here.  Hopefully somebody on this list knows more
about it than me.

Also, you might try Sun's VirtualBox product, I have never gotten
the crackling with it.  I have had other issues, though, that I
haven't had with VMware; I guess this is a case of picking your
poison :)

Thanks,
Brian G. Merrell