To: "David E. Price" <deprice cs utah edu>
Cc: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2009 5:58 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Orca failing to find speech servers

Hi David:

The emacspeak stuff is not actively tested/maintained, so it might have issues. The other traceback is from the speech-dispatcher factory, and it looks like the speechdispatcherfactory.py:_getSpeechServer is failing to create a server. So, this *might* be a speech-dispatcher configuration problem.

Will

David E. Price wrote:
Hi,
My Linux box at work was just upgraded to Ubuntu Intrepid. This means that I don't have any sudo privileges. So, I'm trying to debug this without driving the sysadmins crazy. I have attached the debug log from starting orca. Very quickly, there are tracebacks that show that Orca cannot find the code tables for the speech synthesizers. Does this look like a failed installation of Orca? (I believe it came through apt-get or aptitude.) Or, is there a dependency missing?
 Any help will be greatly appreciated.- dave