Re: [orca-list] Installing Debian on the EEE PC

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 03:35:11PM -0400, Erik Heil wrote:
Was considering purchasing an EEE PC with the goal of installing Sid on
it.  Went to the Debian Wiki, and I do see that they have a specific
customized version of Debian for use on it.  However, since the EEE PC
does not have any serial port, which would be the easiest way to install
Debian on it?

You would need to check this, but I think it supports PXE in the BIOS, so you
could boot from that if needed. Next, you need a kernel that will recognize
the network hardware, so you can run sshd.

Maybe one of the live Debian-based distributions will work. The key point is
getting a kernel with the necessary drivers.

Debootstrap will create a basic Debian installation on the flash drive for
you. Obviously, you would have to create the file systems manually
first. I haven't used debootstrap, but I'm sure there is documentation
available.

If this can't be done successfully now, it should be possible to make it work
with a little effort.