[orca-list] Upgrading to Intrepid - failed on two systems

I tried this on my real machine, and on a vmware fusion instance.

Each time, I spent about 6 hours babysitting the download and installation
of hundreds of packages.

Each time, I kept getting some message about network-manager not finding
some resources - that's the entire error message - no details or explanation
of what resources are missing.

I have not rebooted the real machine because if it fails, I have to
reinstall hardy again, which doesn't thrill me and I need that machine to be
running. I did reboot the VM, and now I get no speech, no login sound (I do
get the little drum thingie when login is ready but nothing after I
successfully enter my username/password).

I think there were issues with python-pyatspi not installing, but if I
removed python-pyatspi and then reinstalled, it seemed to install correctly.

At least I can throw away the current VM and do it again, but its such a
slow process that I'd like to have some idea of what to do differently when
I try it again.

I did:
# changed all references to hardy to intrepid in sources.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Any thoughts on what might be going wrong?

Thanx in advance.
-- Rich