Re: [orca-list] brltty, ubuntu and orca

Hi Cheryl,

On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 04:57:10PM -0500, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
Is there a way to
start brltty automatically when starting orca in ubuntu? On my debin box,
I have brltty starting at bootup; it works in the consoles and once I
start orca it also works there. But in ubuntu I don't see how to start
brltty at bootup; I've resorted to starting brltty with "sudo" in a
console and then logging in to orca.

Refering to a current discuttion at the BrlTty ML, it seems there is a MEGA
/ GIGA BUG IN UBUNTU's 8.04.1 CD:

when even you select Orca to startup with the session, you WON'T have
braille through BrlTty AS LONG AS THAT PROBLEM ISN'T FIXED.

Until now I wrote to Luke Yelavicz and also to the Ubuntu-Accessibility list
and as answer I get NO ANSWER until now.

So maybe all unhappy people should post and repost their claims to that list
or someone from that team should do the effort to clear-up the situation ???

The problem is probably the /lib/brltty/brltty.sh script: this is doing
abnormal things, and that script was also causing problems in the previous
distro (Gutsy).

BTW, try to remove completely brltty + brltty-x11 from Ubuntu Hardy: it
STILL CONTINUES TO ASK ABOUT WHAT KIND OF DISPLAY AND if it is an U)sb or
Bluetooth or S)erial; pressing eX)it will proceed with continuing to
boot-up, but at each boot you will be stolked by that infernal question
while we can't see anything at that moment.

So: ther is NO problems with Orca nor Gnome, No problem with BrlTty itself,
there is only a GREAT GREAT and urgent to fix proble min Ubuntu's brltty.sh
script, and probably more ...
(open /etc/brltty.Conf and see the syntax used, it is TOTALLY UNUSABLE).

So I insist: post to Ubuntu-Accessibility, and I will do so until I obtain
any answer about how to fix that problem.

Aldo.