[orca-list] Speech issue with orca in ubuntu

I have installed ubuntu via vmware fusion on my mac. For orca, apparently ubuntu uses espeak by default. I am finding that speech usually stops sometime during a session in orca and doesn't start again until I log out and re-start orca; if I have braille running this isn't a huge problem but is annoying. This does not happen at all on my debian box. I am wondering if the difference has to do with the installation in vmware fusion or with the fact that I'm using festival on the debian box? Does anybody know which of these might be the reason for my speech stopping?

Thanks.

--
Cheryl