Re: [orca-list] A new member

Hi,
I'll try and answer some of you're questions here.  If I'm wrong on any of
the answers, anyone on the list feel free to correct me. You asked if you
can install Linux without any sighted assistance.  The answer is
certainly, but it greatly depends on what distribution you choose to
install.  Their are way too many "distros" to mention, so I'm not going to
even attempt to list them all here.  Also, whether you have access to a
hardware speech synthesizer will be crucial in determining exactly what
distribution you ultimately install.  Ubuntu and Suse, however, do not
require a hardware synth to install the operating system.  Suse is also a
newcomer in this capability, where Ubuntu has had this capability for at
least a few releases.  Their is also Debian, but that requires a hardware
synth and optionally SSH, which I'm not familiar with as an install
method.  Reportedly its possible though.  I will, however have to
investigate this, because it turns out that some hardware that I will be
acquiring does not have a keyboard or mouse locally--i.e. headless
operation.  Debian though, I wouldn't recommend for a new user.  Its
getting their, but IMHO not ready in a state where I can seriously feel
comfortable recommending to new users--certainly not the Unstable AKA Sid
distribution, because (while not often), its subject to breakage and if
something like PAM which is used to log users in breaks, you will have to
know how to deal with the situation.  Hope this helps.  Follow up on or
off-list and we'll try and steer you in the right situation.

--Erik