Re: [orca-list] a suggestion to solve pdf reading with orca.

On 09/10/2008, Willie Walker <William Walker sun com> wrote:
Hi Krishnakant:

Now with the given problem, I have a suggestion.
Why don't we try and create a rudimentary gtk based simple pdf reader.
It could be as simple as a text editor.  all that is urgently needed
is to read a pdf file and get its font information and other
attributes like bold italics and size of the font.

You might be able to accomplish this with pdftohtml which is part of the
poppler-utils package on Ubuntu.  That is, run pdftohtml and then bring the
results up in Firefox.

Hi wili,  Again the problem is that font attributes can't be read by
orca in firefox.  So apart from headings, list etc we don't get any
extra info out from html.  So bringing the pdf file down to html will
still not help.

If you want to write your own PDF viewer from scratch, the main thing it is
going to need is caret navigation and an accessible text implementation.
So, if
this is all that Evince needs to make it accessible, perhaps it might
require
less work overall to just add these things to Evince?

Ok, that sounds sensible to mee as well.
Can you provide more details?
wili, can you please put me in touch with the associated hackers of evince?
please connect them to me off the list if you know them.
I am thinking of seriously making this work.
so if we can start a serious discussion on this then we might get some
thing working soon.
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.
Will