Re: [orca-list] Mbrola working

On 24 Nov, Krishnakant Mane <hackingkk gmail com> wrote:

A couple of questions.
1, is embrola free software?

Mbrola is free, "no cost".
It is not open source.

2, how different it sounds as compared to espeak?

The best way to answer that question is to try it and listen.

You can download mbrola voices for various languages at:
http://www.tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrola/mbrcopybin.html

Mbrola is not a full text-to-speech system.  It converts
phonemes-to-speech, but it needs some other software to convert text
into phonemes and pitch information, which is then passed to mbrola.

You can use eSpeak for this purpose.  Details are at:
http://espeak.sourceforge.net/mbrola.html

But if you want Hindi, you will need to improve eSpeak's
text-to-phoneme translation for Hindi.  eSpeak's Hindi has had little
work done on it and needs improvement.

By the way can embrola be used with festival as well or is it a some
kind of module with espeak?

Yes, I think that you can use mbrola voices with festival, where
festival does the text-to-phoneme translation.  I don't know the
details.