Re: [orca-list] First forray into commandline installation

Hello, if you do a google search for apt-get manual you'll get some information on using apt and aptitude
properly. otherwise, the command to correctly install things is apt-get install programname.
After you do an google search for apt-get manual the first search result is the one you want.
This is the link for reference.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html
On 11/20/2008 at 9:33 James & Nash said
Hi folks,

Well I tried to update my Ubuntu distribution earlier with command line and I think it worked but how do I
know? Also, how can i search for packages to install? I typed in a terminal window:
apt-cache search abiword for example and it told me what abiword was, but how do I find out what the package
name is? When I tried apt-get abiword, it did not work told me it was an invalid operation I think.

Thank you best wishes

James

PS - from the little I've played with it I'm really enjoying Linux - although I've not had time to really sit
and play with it properly yet or use it for any real tasks just playing at the moment but really enjoying it.