Re: [orca-list] First forray into commandline installation

hello james. the command for installing a program is
sudo apt-get install ,programName>
Thanks,
Aruni.

On 11/20/08, James & Nash <james austin1984 googlemail com> wrote:
Hi folks,

Well I tried to update my Ubuntu distribution earlier with command line and
I think it worked but how do I know? Also, how can i search for packages to
install? I typed in a terminal window:
apt-cache search abiword for example and it told me what abiword was, but
how do I find out what the package name is? When I tried apt-get abiword, it
did not work told me it was an invalid operation I think.

Thank you best wishes

James

PS - from the little I've played with it I'm really enjoying Linux -
although I've not had time to really sit and play with it properly yet or
use it for any real tasks just playing at the moment but really enjoying it.