[orca-list] problem with Alsa

As you may know, I am desperately trying to configure speech-dispatcher on Ubuntu 8:10. I was able to make it work through Pulseaudio, but it does have some latency problems. When I run speech-dispatcher as a service, it uses Alsa, and it works very well except all other sounds are gone. I have tried everything you told me here. I think I have Alsa correctly installed. I changed the sounds in preferences/sound to alsa, and I configured speech-dispatcher (for my user account) to use alsa. Doing this didn't help at all. Then I tried uninstalling pulseaudio, which locked me out of my system (at least using gnome). I guess it was trying to play the little sound when you log in and it couldn't, so it told me that my session lasted less than 10 secconds etc... I had to use a console to reinstall pulseaudio, and everything worked just fine. I don't understand why this is happening, if I changed all sound output to alsa. Besides this, on preferences/sessions there is an item for loading pulseaudio modules, but nothing related to alsa. In administration/services there is something about alsa (Alsa-utils) which I activated, but I can't deactivate pulseaudio anywhere. What could I do?
Thanks!

Ignasi