[orca-list] Problems with Orca and Synaptec Package Manager

Hi folks,

Well I decided to use the Ubunto 8.10 CD to install Ubuntu winin Windows i.e. a dual boot. Also for the time being, I hvae the internet working if I plug my router into the back of my laptop. However, whenever I try to look for packages I need to use Synaptec is that right? I would use the Command Line, but I am not too comfortable with it yet although i am learning it. Anyway, whenever I start Synaptec Orca crashes - or at least it refuses to speak. I end up needing to restart Orca with Alt F2 typing orca and then it speaks again but not in the package manager or in the software sources window which I assume appears if I click on it. What can I do, do I need to upgrade to the latest version of Orca, and if so how do I do this please?

Thank you

James