[orca-list] problems installing intrepid

i screwed up my system after trying to configure speech-dispatcher so i wonder if choosing speech-dispatcher from the speech menu in orca preferences was the wrong thing to do. i lost speech altogether and couldn't find a way of getting it back with me having no sighted assistance so i am going to have to re-install the whole of intrepid. i am running into the problem with the inaccessibility of the installer and can't seem to be able to locate the instructions i followed that gets the intrepid installer talking with orca. could anyone possibly help or maybe point me in the right direction? i tried enter, f5 and 3, enter twice from the pause when the computer boots, when the ubuntu sound comes up, i typed gnome terminal from the run dialogue after hitting f2, i typed sudo su followed by orca-Quite, i then typed orca and went through the setup, typed y to confirm i wanted to logout, y again and then pressed alt fbled and i think the logout was where my problems started as i was supposed to have logged out, logged in again, typed gnome terminal from the run dialogue, again done sudo su, done control plus alt plus tab to go to the desktop and then typed inst followed by enter to get speech for my install but it isn't working.
what am i doing wrong?