Re: [orca-list] linux sound issues Re: Opensolaris Vs. Ubuntu

Hi All:

I agree that gnome-speech is not an ideal solution for some of the reasons that Halim lists. It does, however, tend to work and requires little effort on the part of the end user to get it going.

I would certainly welcome a replacement for gnome-speech that meets user requirements, is reliable, is performant, works with the majority of speech synthesis solutions available today, works on the major operating system distributions, and has a collaboration-oriented team that is willing to support it. SpeechDispatcher definitely has some of these characteristics and it's nice to see people trying it out. It seems to be close.

To take this forward, a great way for your vote to count in the open source world is to do development and become part of the solution. If you want SpeechDispatcher to be *the* solution, you need to make it happen. Contribute. Port it to various platforms. Work on the stability. Work on the ease of configuration. Work on more complex problems, such as terminal-based systems like the SunRay. Take the great ideas that are on paper and realize them in good code. You will become a hero and people will forever speak your name in great reverence.

Will